Sunday, August 29, 2010

What's Yous Battle Cry? (27)

One of my favorite aspects of every war movie is the emotion captured by scenes with men in the heat of battle. For the most part, every movie that has war involved has some sort of battle cry poured out from the very soul of the warrior before (or just as) he enters into battle - whether it be a cry for vengeance, a chant for ones country, or a wail of agony and desperation. Just watch! As the two opposing sides approach each other, the men begin to scream in a manner that sends shivers down your spine. What's your battle cry? Psalm 27


Verses 1-6 In honor of our senior pastor Jim, the above picture was taken back in the day when he (personally) fought for the freedom of Scotland. Well, not really ... the picture is actually of the character William Wallace from Braveheart. If you know anything about this movie, you know that it is filled with some of the most powerful battle cries known to man. As listed above, there are cries for the country, cries for vengeance, and for pain as well - bellows that shake the very core of your being - powerful, heart-felt, intimidating. As we get into the Psalm, we must recall that we are in the midst of spiritual battle (Eph 6:10-20). We start this chapter and we see David question - "whom shall i fear?" Great question right? ... the answer: no one (Rom 8:31). God is our light, our salvation, our protector, our shield, and so much more (read the last 26 Psalms). David continues in this segment of the Psalm to preamble his war cry - why is he making the cry in the first place. This is not a cry of desperation. This is not a cry of fear. This is not a cry of pain, sadness, or defeat. This is a cry of victory. David says that when his enemies advance on him - in the brink of battle - he knows where to go. My parents are currently teaching my dog max how to swim as he recently fell into the pool and almost drowned. The hope is that when he falls into the pool next time he knows to swim to the steps and exits the pool instead of flailing around like an idiot. Basically the first question we approach is - do you know where to go in the heat of battle? Do you know where to find your refuge? David says that his head is lifted above all his enemies (even before the battle starts). So i guess ... is God your victory?

Verses 7-14 This is our battle cry - "Your face, Lord, I will seek." In Him our paths are made straight. In him we find grace, mercy, and peace - not to mention safety from attack. One of my favorite passages here is the one about our parents (v.10). I have amazing parents (as I'm sure you do too), but I have found from time to time that they still fail me. I have found that as amazing of an example they both are for me, they're sinners to . They let me down, they break my heart. Never has God let me down. Sure God has broken my heart, but it was because I chose to abandon Him and pursue something I shouldn't. What a good shepherd - one that whole-heartedly pursues me, a sinner (Hosea). I am confident, as David was confident, that I will find goodness in the Lord. So I leave you with this:

"Wait for the Lord;
Be strong and take heart
and wait for the Lord."

That's just the pep-talk before the battle. What will be your battle cry?

-Chris

2 comments:

Bethany Nicol said...

awessssome!

Bethany Nicol said...

awessssome!